Sunday, July 20, 2008

Melancholy Sabbath Morning

I'm feeling a bit melancholy this morning. Yesterday, I lost one of my chickens. We are doing some major renovations in our back yard and as part of that renovation we moved our chickens. Also, the three chickens I've had for some time were integrated with the chicks I got this spring. Well one of the chicks I got this spring turned out to be a rooster. The rooster was really beautiful and he had learned to crow in the morning and evening. There was a problem though, the rooster was reeking havoc with three laying hens. The hens were not laying, eating and were trying to get out of the chicken run every time I fed the chickens. So I let the rooster out of the chicken run, after figuring out he couldn't get back into the chicken run, he went into our garden and started to eat our our vegetables, not the weeds. So I put him in a cage with feed and water. I thought he would be fine. At the time I caged the rooster he had shade, well....things didn't go well after that. Yesterday I had a date night with lovely and talented daughter Hannah. We searched high and low for Camp Rock poster. We could not find any poster sized Camp Rock posters. We eventually found some smaller Camp Rock posters at Wal-Mart. Well while we were on our date I received a frantic phone call from my daughter Cassie about the rooster. She wanted to know why the rooster was in a separate cage and why his legs were taped together. His legs were not taped, Julie went out to inspect and the rooster was on his last breath. He was now fully exposed to the sun and had spilled the ceramic water dish I had provided for him. The rooster passed away, this really upset Cassie and she wasn't pleased with what I did. Well that's part of our activities that we had yesterday.

With the renovations we are doing in the back yard we were having another circuit added to our sprinkler system for the new area of the yard that will need water. Well, with this addition work on our sprinkler system disabled part of our sprinkler system so our backyard needed to be watered since it has not been watered for three days. Lack of water doesn't go well when you have three one-hundred degree weather days in a row.

Yesterday and the night before I took McKay to a Fathers and Son's camp out up Diamond Fork canyon. McKay and I had a great time. Those in charge had some memorable activities that the boys will remember. McKay got to shoot paint ball guns at targets and search through a great big pile of sawdust for candy. There was devotional and as soon as the devotional got over McKay wanted to hang out in our tent. I got this handy two man tent for hiking and McKay and I fit well in this tent. McKay wanted to hear some of my stories so I told him the "Tommy" story and how he caught "Fruititus" (Fruit-I-tus). McKay didn't want to hear any of my scary stories like Stumpy. Then I told him the story of the goat that chased the log down the mine shaft hole. He liked that one as well. I didn't take my camera, I took two picture with my phone, I'll need to download them later and add them to this post.

Well hope everyone is doing well, I still have more posting to do for my Havasupai trip. Also, I'll need to take some pictures of our backyard.

No comments: