Sunday, July 06, 2008

4th of July Activities

The 4th of July started out early for our family. I was able to get the teenagers up but it wasn't easy. On the 4th of July the balloon launch early in the morning. I told the teenagers I only make them get up early once a year so they could do this once a year.



Here are a few shots that I liked best of the air balloon experience. Oma, Grandpa, Tante Erna and all of our family were there minus Julie because she worked all night. She said that a number of babies had already been born on the 4th where she works.


After the balloon experience we hurried over to the Freedom Festival parade in Provo, UT. One of the first entrants were these men dressed as revolutionary war soldiers. I caught there guns shooting at just the right time. The blast of these guns were quite loud, but not the loudest blast in the parade.

I included some of my favorites of the parade. I like the military starting the parade carrying the American flag. I took this shot of our Governor giving his daughter a piggy back, running to the side of the road giving people hand slaps.

Here are a few pictures of the family that gathered to watch the parade. It was kinda of overcast this morning so it wasn't as hot as it has been in years past. These shots were taken just after the F-16's flew over followed by the Air Force refueling tanker. I believe both flights were less than a thousand feet over us. This was loud but still not the loudest noise of the parade.

Here' a picture of a truck like the type of truck my father-in-law drove when he was in the Army. Here's a picture of my favorite horse, the palomino.

Here's a picture of my favorite float and my favorite HS marching band, go Vikings!

Here's a picture of my favorite balloon float and my favorite sports float. Go Cougars!

Looks like the BYU football players have been working out this summer. Looks like Fui's arms are as strong as ever. (Check out the guns on number 1#!) My favorite band in the parade and they were playing Scotland the Brave. (If you've heard Praise To The Man, you've heard Scotland the Brave.)

Here's my favorite real people in the parade and my favorite military vehicle, a fully restored M1P Hellcat tank.

The parade started and ended with a loud bang. Well the loudest bang in the parade was George Q. Cannon pictured above. After the parade the family gathered at our home to have a wonderful dinner. We had lots and lots of good food.

We took some serious pictures of the family and here's a silly picture we took. After the family left we attended our annual Cul de Sac of Fire! An inspirational message was given by our neighbor and former bishop Karl Bowman. Next to Karl, was the Reeves entourage. Their family puts a diorama of fireworks together each year. This year it was a diorama of Hannah Montana lets just say it went up in flames.


Across from us was the Maddox entourage and next to us were the Peters, Steels and Parsons. Later in the evening we lit fireworks off in front of our house with the our neighbors the Cleggs. Ryan and McKay were in heaven lighting of their fireworks until there were no more.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Wow, you got some good pics!
So I totally forgot what you said about taking that tag off my blog... will you remind me again? Thanks!

Cresta said...

Looks like a full day! We missed being there! The kids kept asking about the hot air balloons - totally worth the early wake-up call!

Jamie and Julie said...

Maria, I'll send you an email with directions.

Jamie and Julie said...

Cresta, yes it was a full day. The balloons are fantastic to watch. They were having problems on the 4th because there wasn't much wind.

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

We love the Balloon festival!! We had to miss out this year as we've been a little sleep deprived lately with the new baby! Looks like it was fun. Great pictures.

Jamie and Julie said...

I understand, I'm amazed at what you are still able to get accomplished on your blog/website, with your new blessing keeping you busy.