A key to hiking in the desert is hiking when it's not hot. We got up early, I think it was four in the morning. We then drove for about an hour and a half to get to the trail head so we could get checked in and begin our hike. If you view the above map you can see that it's about 10 miles to reach the campgrounds. There were a lot of people at the campgrounds so we would have to travel about another 1/2 mile into the campgrounds to get our campsite that we used for this trip.


Above is a picture of the Havasupai Ranger's station. Repairs were being done on this morning as we began our hike. Also, in this picture are the Scouts who are anxious to begin the morning's trek. The hike will be about 10 1/2 miles this day.


While on the switchback's I took a picture of the trail that lay ahead. This is the trail before we drop down into the canyon's where it is cooler. It is important that we get into the canyon's before the sun breaks the mountain tops where we were at.


Here's a couple of pictures of the trail experience. On left are some of our group, Jim, Jim, Sam and Josh. On the right is a mule train. You must always be on the alert for a mule train. Because if you don't get out of the way you could get run over.


We took a break as the sun was just starting to get to us in the canyons, before the Supai village. Next was the most breathtaking view. We finally saw the first waterfall. This is a picture I took of Havasu Falls. It falls over 100 feet and is one of the most photographed falls in the world. I could see why, because we had just hiked over 10 miles and were in a desert and then all of a sudden is a waterfall that looks like it belongs in Hawai'i.


Here's the view we had in camp for our entire stay. Darren set himself up with his hammock. He was taking a rest after our long hike.


After setting up camp we went up to see the Havasu Falls again. On the right you can see Lane hamming it up. In front of his feet was a little chute you could go under the little falls and pop up in the pool below.


2 comments:
looks fun, but glad it was you, and not me :) You know how much of a camper I am!
We're going to fam reunion in Moab this weekend, so we'll see if I survive!
It was a great experience. One of the better camping sites I've been t over the years. I kept telling my fellow campers that I couldn't pay my family to go on this trip.
Are you staying in a tent on this Moab trip? Are you going to try slick rock? It will probably be warm out there.
Post a Comment