For example, when I was a kid, at about the age of eight, my mom dropped my friend and I off at the theater and paid for us to see the movie H.R. Pufnstuf and left us for the day. I think my friend and I watched the movie four or five times in a row. We were left to run around in the theater all day while my mom was out running around town and my dad was working. My friend and I had a blast and we loved the experience but I would never drop my kids at that age at a theater today to see a movie, let alone stay for the day.

A real life Witchiepoo (evil character from the movie) might get our children. We wouldn't think twice about leaving our kids at eight years of age at a movie alone today, no way is that going to happen. We don't have Freddy the talking flute to help us out (another character from the movie).
Another thing I did as a child is I drank out of the garden hose. I don't let my children drink from the garden hose today. Of course we have grey water for irrigation coming out of half our hoses, but I don't let them drink from the hoses connected to the house either. They might not remember some time and drink from the grey water or they could catch something from the filtered water garden hose coming from the house.

We rode everywhere in cars with no seat belts, and when they were installed in our cars they were generally lost into the gap between the seat and the back of the seat. Everyone wears a seatbelt now and until they get to be big enough they are in a booster seat.

We rode in the back of my fathers truck all the time. Somtimes we rode from California to Utah and back in a Camper Shell in the back of a truck in the winter time.

I'd maybe allow this for a short off-road ride or a short ride around the neighborhood but would drive very carefully. No standing up or trying to move around.
We walked to school when we were growing up. In fact when I was in high school I walked across an interstate 80 overpass to get from my home to school or to get from school to home. Now we drive our children to and from school and rarely let them walk home. If we do let them walk home we know they are with a group a friends and know when they left the school and when they should be home by. Or sometimes we walk to school or home from school with our children.

3 comments:
H.R. Pufnstuf and friends always gave me the creeps! That, I do remember.
We would cannon ball in the lake off the dock to scare the gators that were laying on the bottom to scare them away so WE could swim...THIS IS TRUE...
I could understand why you wouldn't want your kids to do this.
Post a Comment