Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Christmas Advent Wreath



We have a family tradition as Christmas approaches where we light a candle on the advent wreath marking the four Sundays before the celebrated day of the birth of our Savior. Starting the first Sunday (of the four Sundays before Christmas) one candle is lit. As we get closer to Christmas on each new Sunday another candle is lit until on the forth Sunday all four candles are lit.

Well, November 30th was the first Sunday to light the candles. After the candle was lit each family member got to pick their favorite Christmas song. McKay's all-time favorite song started off the celebration, which is "Once their was a snowman". We go from youngest to oldest in the song selection. After the last song we read in 1 Nephi where the Savoir's birth is fortold. Then we finished off with family prayer.

The advent wreath comes from Oma my wife's mother who is from Germany. We love this tradition and love to share it with our children.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's a cool tradition. This will be Jeff and my first christmas together, so I am excited to see if we will have any traditions.

Jamie and Julie said...

Thanks Biz, we have some others, I'll have to see if I can get it documented out here.

Britta said...

I like this tradition, especially the singing Christmas songs part. :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes. That card was awesome!

FYI, I really like the songs on your blog. Sometimes after I check your blog, I just leave the internet window open to play your music during my work day.

Jamie and Julie said...

Hope your Birthday celebration is going well. I'm glad you enjoyed the e-card.

I leave my blog music playing in the background when I am as work too. If there are any artists you think I would like that fit this style please let me know. Justine has influenced a number of artists I have on my playlist. I was excited recently when playlist expanded their capacity to 200 songs.