Thursday, December 04, 2008

An early morning adventure...


Yesterday morning at about 5 am I heard a bang on the wall of our home. I didn't think anything of the noise, because often my son bangs his head against the wall in his sleep. Well, when I went out to feed our chickens and rabbit at 5:45 am I saw an outline of what looked like a chicken in our grass. As I walked closer I was thinking, oh great, one of the chickens got out and got killed by a fox, skunk, racoon, etc. Then as I got closer I noticed it was a pheasant. I stood about one foot away from the pheasant and it did not move. Mind you at 5:45 in the morning its pretty dark in our backyard and I could only see the pheasant because I was wearing a headlamp. So, I stood over the pheasant and tried to see if it was alive after a few minutes I noticed its eyes were blinking. Well, I left the pheasant all hunkered down and then fed our animals. I came back and the pheasant was still there. So I called over our cats, and I wonder about one of our cats intelligience as he came over he actually stepped on the pheasant and it went crazy. It flew over into out carport and then got stuck in our lilac bushes before it freed itself and ran across the street into the orchard. I thought about trying to catch the pheasant but as I soon found out they are fast birds on their feet. I believe this pheasant was injured and couldn't fly well any more. This pheasant might have been the bang, against the wall noise, I heard early in the morning.

1 comment:

Natalie Harris said...

That's weird...but I bet it was!