Tuesday, September 23, 2008

M&M's A Friend Since Childhood

This evening only McKay and I were at home for a period of time or so it seemed. McKay came up to me and asked me to help him get some German Chocolate that his Oma brought back with her from her recent trip to Germany. Well, that wasn't an option so McKay disappeared for a moment and came to me holding one my favorite comfort foods....dark chocolate M&M's. I like the peanut butter ones, the almond and peanut, plain, and seasonal mint ones...well I pretty much like them all. I don't feel as guilty about eating M&M's when they are the dark chocolate kind. So while I was trying to open the bag of chocolates for McKay I told him I remember when there weren't so many different colored M&Ms in a bag. When I was a kid the red ones were removed because people thought the dye, used to make the color red, was bad for children. My mom used to quote these red color dye numbers to me while I was young and said that they made me hyperactive. This was the 70's version of A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder). I googled it and found that the red was pulled from M&M bags in 1976. Orange replaced the color red that year. I remember red was re-introduced when the red dye scare passed away. With the return of the color red, Mars candy kept the color orange. I also remember there used to not be the color blue in a bag of M&M's either. Blue replaced the light brown (tan) color that used to be in a bag of M&Ms. Now you can get M&M in pretty much any color. There are seasonal M&Ms that keep you going as well. I really think the mint M&Ms at Christmas taste best when they are either red or green in color. Speaking of green when I went to college, green M&Ms were said to have romantic powers. I remember people giving green M&Ms as they asked out their dates.

There's an M&M in everyone!



This is what my mom thought I would turn into if I ate Red food coloring!

2 comments:

Britta said...

I LOVE the mint M&Ms! I can't wait until late october, early november when they show up on the shelves. They always get sold out before the middle of December, which makes me sad if I'm not quick enough. I remember when they were introducing the blue, they actually had a voting contest between blue, purple and pink. The other two didn't even have a chance. Come on? Who can pass up a primary colored candy?

Jamie and Julie said...

I can't pass up on that color blue either. I just got released from Scouts and the Bishipric told me not to get too comfortable. Is Scott still planning on seeing the USC vs UCLA game?!