Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What are the most disappointing Treats for Trick-or-Treators

Since Halloween is coming I thought it would be interesting to blog about Trick-or-Treating. I still remember going to certain homes each and every year because they would be handing out full size candy bars. I also, remember avoiding certain homes because they would give out a plastic trinket. I don't directly go Trick-or-Treating anymore, but I do try to talk my children out of some of their treats. I like the chocolate covered coconut candy bars and my kids usually don't. Also, I like the dark chocolate and they usually don't either.

What are top treats that kids would rather not see in their bags at the end of the night?! These are the treats you end up throwing out six months after Halloween.

Pencils





















I know kids don't get home and say hey look at all these cool pencils I got. These pencils are usually the kind where the eraser doesn't work or they don't have an eraser at all. Keep the pencil because the kids want candy.


Toothbrushes























About the last thing any kid want to see on Hallows Eve is a toothbrush. Come on all you dentists handing out a toothbrush is what you get when you go for your six month checkup.


Plastic Toys























I couldn't find a good picture to represent all the junk plastic toys that get handed out at Halloween but here are some rings that are typically handed out. Usually the rings do not look this good, they are deformed in some way. These plastic toys go straight to the trash.


Black & Orange Peanut Butter Nougats












Okay sometime in the 70s some candy company made these things. They keep getting circulated out each and every year since then. Because no one could get rid of them, they get mixed in with other candies. These candies are as hard as a rock usually and ar
e artificially peanut butter flavored. Even our dogs wouldn't eat these candies.

Stickers























The stickers are usually not this cool. They usually are not even Halloween themed. The stickers end up getting pasted in all the wrong places. Kids want candy not stickers!


Raisins
















I heard
it through the grapevine that these are not a kid favorite. The kids get a box of sticky, shriveled globs of raisins or they get these rock hard, blocks of last years left overs. This a great quiet time treat for toddlers, not trick-or-treaters.

Crayons
















Okay these are not Crayola crayons. These are straight from China crayons. Who knows what toxins were put into these things. These are crayons that don't color well, and break easily.


Hard Candy






















This is not the jolly ranchers I'm talking about. This is candy that you would find at your great-grandma's in the candy dish that has been sitting there for years. If you were doing trick-or-treat at a bingo night get together these would be a hit.





Hard Bubblegum Balls


















I'm not talking about the double bubble gumballs you see in this picture but no-name brand gum balls, that are more like jaw breake
rs. These probably are from China, not a good thing for your kids.

Apples

















Okay, these end up weighing down the bag or container the kids are carrying around. It might even break their bags?! Parents worry, because when we were kids, there were the urban legends of kids getting "poisoned apples". This still concerns us today. Kids will end up just throwing these.


Other things that should not be passed out are pennies, popcorn balls (remember the razor blade scare of our youth), jawbreakers (teethbreakers really), pamphlets, card with sayings and old fashion jelly beans that don't taste like fruit.

Things you should be going for Willy Wonka Fun bags, Dum Dums, Chocolate Bars (Milky Way, Twix, Kit Kat, 100 Grand, Snickers, Mounds, Almond Joy, etc.), Candy Corn packs, Smarties, Necco Wafers, Sweet Tarts, Jolly Ranchers, Sour Candies that make your hair curl, Starbursts, M&Ms in the tube, Skittles, Suckers with a bubble gum middle or a whistle as part of the stick.

8 comments:

Jonathan Plowman said...

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with you. Halloween is all about the candy - the good kind. I think I received most, if not all, of the above-mentioned unwanted items at one point or another.

Jamie and Julie said...

I left out tootsie rolls as something kids like in their treat bag.

The Mom said...

Really - jelly beans that don't taste like fruit - I kinda like the licorice ones :) Loved this post - it's too dang true - my kids really do just chuck all the stuff that isn't good candy :)

Britta said...

What a GREAT post! I was nodding my head the whole time. Yuck to those peanut butter taffies! Who made those a Halloween tradition? They should be fired from making traditions. And the stickers!? I had a neighbor who gave out stickers every year and they WERE halloween themed. What do you do with halloweened themed stickers after halloween? nothin. In the trash they go.

Jamie and Julie said...

Sorry I really need to clarify the jelly beans, I love black licorice jelly beans. I was thinking of those old school jelly beans that are larger than the jelly belly beans and they are colors like green, yellow, white, etc. but they are not fruit flavored, they are just not good tasting jelly beans.

Jamie and Julie said...

Britta, I had fun putting together the post. When I told Julie that I had put together a list of less desirable candies that kids get in their trick or treat bags, the first thing said is those peanut butter kisses. Honestly when I was younger man about 10 or 11 years old we had a dog named poochie and he would not touch those nasty candies. This was a dog that even at tomatoes.

Yes, what do you do with a sticker after Halloween?

Maria said...

Great post! SO true in every way. I was happy to see that the treats I got were listed at the end in what kids DO want. Yay, I'll be a cool mom on Halloween!

Jamie and Julie said...

It's not a complete list by any imagination, but I thought I should include something that people should be handing out.