Wednesday, August 13, 2008

On the Oregon Trail

Last we went to Oregon to see Julie's sister Angie and her family. We really enjoy going to Oregon, it's such a green, moist perfect weather place whenever we visit. This year was no exception. We were arriving in the midst of fresh Berry season. We love getting fresh berries off the vine and at the local farmer's market when we visit. Where Angie and her family live in Hillsboro, the developer is required to build into their development green spaces. We really enjoy going on an adventure hike to the deep dark forest or sometimes we call the enchanted forest. I keep looking for newt's in the stream that runs through the wooded area but haven't found any yet. I'll start off by taking you on the adventure we took into the enchanted forest when we were there.

We are walking on the green belt right by the Bennett's home. I love these little bike paths, where you don't have to worry about your kids getting run over by a car. Then there's a picture of McKay, Hannah and Caleb.

The three could not resist walking down the block wall. On the right we are getting closer, you can see the tall Douglas Fir in the distance that's where the enchanted forest is.

Here's the entrance to the woods, right behind this sign were some fresh BlackBerries. I ate some and shared some with the kids. We are just starting on the path here in this picture.

Here's a picture of the canopy overhead to give you an idea of how thick and lush the woods are. I had Hannah, Caleb and McKay stand next to this Douglas Fir to give you an idea of how mature some of the trees are.

Here's another picture of the canopy and Hannah standing between three Douglas Fir trees.

I thought these trees on the path framed the picture nicely. Trip, trap look out for the troll under the bridge.

I finally got Cassie to sit still for a picture. McKay was leading the way down the path.

Cassie, Hannah and Caleb are catching up with McKay. If you look close on the right there is a squirrel hiding and eating.

If you make it all the way through the woods you go into a park. This bridge is in the park and Hannah had already crossed and was swinging.

We found another squirrel in the park, and here's a picture of a cat, that was at the park.

From the bridge I took these pictures of "Musky" the muskrat that lives at the pond in the park.

No comments: